So, now let me tell you about a project that isn’t really a project yet, just a lot of ideas.
I’ve been wanting to expand beyond simple cross-stitch into embroidery stitching — there are so many shapes that cross-stitch doesn’t do justice to. And having seen some lovely embroideries done by others, especially some of the crazy quilting blogs that I visit, I have found them absolutely inspiring. So I’ve thought that it would be very nice to find a picture that I could embroider, using beautiful threads and an embroidery stitch dictionary. But I’ve had a really hard time finding a picture of something that inspired me enough to want to embroider it. I’ve been looking at all kinds of pictures of nature, of old illuminated manuscripts, of interesting symbols from ancient times, and nothing strikes me as just the right thing.
I have some lovely, handpainted evenweave linen that I used for a cross-stitch project. It would be a nice background for a picture from nature, that I could then stitch on to the linen curtains that I sewed for my bedroom. They are so plain that a picture of flowers or butterflies or dragonflies would be a lovely addition.
Hopefully, a very simple one will someday hit the right chord, so that I can actually attempt something and start to expand my skills. In the meantime, I’ve been using the Beyond Cross Stitch learning series to attempt many new stitches.
the rest of the projects to come
14. cable scarf
15. quilt for Mom
17. jewelbox quilt
18. preemie sleeper for charity/friends; also need to make a hat — made one sleeper, more to come (just hope the baby gets to wear it!)
20. yellow dress (muslin first! since the batik dress showed that the sizing is not perfect) — have cut the muslin
21. winter dresses
22. spinning for sweater — doing other spinning in the meantime
23. Celtic blackwork pattern
24. wristwarmers with leftover yarn from springtime hat(I need to tell you about that one too.) — shawl idea didn’t work out, but still using the same stitch pattern
25. possibilities for leftovers
26. purplish brown cardigan w/very special yarn
27. Lochinver sweater
28. new baby sweater