Well, the second week is the buttonhole stitch. This week I was a little better prepared, having bought some pearl cotton size 5 colors. And I had had my ideas expanded a bit by the previous week’s efforts of the group. So here’s what I came up with:
1) This one includes a buttonhole stitch of multiple sizes and multiple colors. It was an interesting effect, but I was using 6-strand embroidery floss for that in combination with the pearl cotton size 8, and it didn’t work for me. The colors were fine, though.
2) I also did a circular version, using some leftover metallic thread. It was a little difficult making a consistent circle. If I want something like that, it needs
some help to be a perfect circle.
3) This is a simple pattern of varying heights of buttonhole stitch, but with each section of the pattern being a different shade of red. I do like that one. I would, however, want to improve the smoothness of the transition from each color, but I’m not sure how to manage it.
4) Next, this is one where I did another circle, with the buttonhole stitch pointing outward. This would make a marvelous sun. The variegated thread added to the effect here, I think. It’s rather pretty — but I ran out of thread before finishing. I wasn’t so in love with it that I felt the need to finish.
5) Last, I decided to do something a little more elaborate and actually plan ahead on it. This one I actually drew out the pattern, so I’d have consistent sizing, and make an interesting shape. I think you can see that it’s a vague serpent shape.
I wanted to use more colors and more random heights for the buttonhole stitches to make a mottled effect, like snakeskin, but with an obvious preference for bright colors!
I look forward to the next one.