Log cabin baby blanket


Log cabin baby blanket
Originally uploaded by bibliotecaria2

I don’t believe I’ve shown a picture of this yet — a baby blanket I did for a friend, well, for her baby. It turned out rather nice, although I would do a few things differently next time.

NOTE: hard to tell, but the color up top is a multicolored skein, with both blues and greens in it.

1) I used Plymouth Encore, and I just didn’t like it. Machine washable is vital for a baby blanket — but I’ll achieve with a different yarn.

2) I would use more than four basic colors. Partly that was not wanting to spend more than a certain amount on it, and because the Encore had so much in one skein, there was no way to get more colors without going over my budget. So something with less per skein, and a minimum of eight colors.

3) Although I did, more or less, follow the Mason-Dixon Knitting pattern, I nonetheless tweaked it by keeping my stitches live on each edge instead of binding off. This caused the joinings of a new strip of the log cabin to be a slight stockinette row instead of endless garter stitch. This was not BAD, but it wasn’t exactly right either. I will have to re-consider that method if I ever do it again, but I’m still not binding off every strip — I just don’t like that idea, partly because picking up stitches is such a hassle for me.

4) Although fine for a baby blanket, I would like to do a version that is a finer gauge, with something that is in the 3 mm range (US 4 +/-).

Advertisements

Socks #5 75%


Socks #5 (3)
Originally uploaded by bibliotecaria2

See! See! Here’s the proof!

And even this photo is now out of date, since I worked on it last night and have turned the heel and picked up stitches (always the part I like the least). I’m ready to roar down the foot. I’m definitely getting this done in time for cold weather. My sis will be delighted.

Socks #5 make progress

Well, last weekend I made considerably more progress on these socks. This picture is now seriously out of date! I am working on the heel turn of the second sock, here barely started.


Socks #5 (2)
Originally uploaded by bibliotecaria2

I had some concentrated travel time while visiting my sister to get some work done and made such progress I surprised myself and had to stop. I had not written down (oops!) exactly which heel I had used from Folk socks, with the result that I had to wait until I got back home to figure it out. (I think it’s the Band Heel. It took some re-checking of the done sock to figure it out; I just hope they end up looking the same.)

Looks like I’ll definitely be able to give them to her at Thanxmas.