What special or unusual event occurred?
Carnival for children with special needs and their families put on by my congregation. It was our first attempt, which went fairly well. We were certainly well-prepared. Myself, I just served on the day; I was amazed at all the prep that had been done. It was great!
What were my accomplishments this month?
Raspberry picking and jamming and canning and freezing and making of sorbet
Moved into teaching more of the class topics that are “new” to me at work.
What were my disappointments this month?
Realized a conflict at work with a family visit in October.
Realized a conflict in potluck with another family visit, this one in September.
Realized both family visits conflict with my scrapbook crop schedule. I must schedule something on my own in order not to fall too far behind. And I don’t want to take my laptop with me on my visit, even though that would be the only way to get anything done during the visit, which is unlikely anyway, so…
What books/music/shows did I enjoy this month?
- The bandit king / Lilith Saintcrow (oddly intense, although not the best quality story — although some of that may just be my own preferences about communication)
- Bewitching / Jill Barnett (okay; unrealistic but set up that way)
- A Texan’s promise / Shelley Gray (mildly okay with definite lack of realism)
- The War of the Roses / Alison Weir: didn’t finish it as I did it on Overdrive and time ran out. Now I need to check it out, as I was finally getting into it just as the “war” was starting.
- Legend of the seeker tv series – must check out the book it is based on
- Chuck tv series
- Warehouse 13
- Poirot episodes (Agatha Christie’s)
- interesting to note that I am getting to a season where they are clearly not based on Agatha Christie stories. They feel distinctly different.
What crafts did I work on this month (not what I finished, but what did I work on)?
- Percy shawlette
- Cat Bordhi socks restarted with a simpler pattern, but trying to use the Cat Bordhi pattern of increases & decreases for the Sky architecture
- Seaming together summerweight sweater
- Flannel baby quilt, absolutely finished with binding and everything
- spinning brown roving
- yellow knit for felting
- Starting little red dress (Very Cherry by Alanna D???)
- Rigid heddle weaving
What fun things did I do with my family, friends, or by myself?
Quiet day at home
Visited my sister
Volunteered at a festival where we did fiber demos. I did the inkle loom.
What gifts did I give and/or receive?
Baby quilt given to the next baby at church. It was the yellow and green flannel, and it went over quite well. I’m pleased with it.
What special or unusual purchases did I make?
Trying out a skirt purchase from Down East Basics. I like their style, but it didn’t fit, although I may be able to make it work with some elastic in the waistband. I got it on clearance, so it is cheap enough that it is not worth returning. It leaves me with a debate about trying anything else by them — maybe only if it is elastic waistband?
What illnesses or health concerns did I have?
Some persistent headaches and a bit of low-iron fatigue. The low-iron problem was especially noticeable during that time of the month. A friend strongly suggested I look into hypothyroidism due to that and a complex of other symptoms that I have been dealing with over the past ten years. I’ll check, but I fear I am a bit too skeptical; on the other hand, she may be right that it is a slow-growing thing. But I confess, I don’t know that I want to hear it! But really, the low-iron thing got rather extreme, enough that I started having the peeling, sore spot on bottom of foot thing again. Very irritating.
Anything else noteworthy to include?
New online class on photography with Katrina Kennedy, although I greatly fear that I won’t be able to give it as much time. Fortunately, it is something I can always get back to later.
Finally started using OhLife. I think it is working, at least for now. I am making sure to limit myself in how much I write, because if I write too much, that will become a barrier to getting it done.
What rest did I achieve this month?
It’s a struggle.