Roundup questions for blog
What special or unusual event occurred?
Travel to Mexico. It was a big event for me. It was a work trip, but I was able to pack in an extra day for sightseeing, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Dad had a car accident. He scared us a bit, especially since we had to find out long distance. Fortunately my uncle, aunt, and cousin were right there, so there were able to get him out and take care of him. He was okay, but very lucky.
What were my accomplishments this month?
Co-teaching the class in Spanish. I also went through pretty much that whole week without speaking any English, except to myself. Now this is not to say I didn’t have English around me — I was still reading books in English, etc. But all my communication was Spanish-based, and I am pleased to say that I received several compliments on my speaking ability, and everyone understood me without much problem. Being able to describe something even if I can’t think of the word is a valuable skill. Plus I regularly looked words up whenever I thought of them, even if I didn’t really need them at the moment. It’s good to constantly build your vocabulary.
What were my disappointments this month?
Odd sickness, off feeling after coming back.
What books/music/shows did I enjoy this month?
- Raven’s shadow & Raven’s strike
- When demon’s walk
- last of the Daisy Dalrymple books
- Black sheep’s daughter / Carola Dunn
- Mentalist, end of Season 3 and beginning Season 4
- Magic rises / Ilona Andrews — newest book out!
- Silver Shark / Ilona Andrews
- The red thumb mark / R. Austin Freeman
- The mystery of 31 New Inn by R. Austin Freeman
- Captain Blood / Rafael Sabatini
- Amaryllis / Jayne Castle
- The happiness project / Gretchen Rubin
- Second confession / Rex Stout, and other Nero Wolfe stories
- Key of light, knowledge, valor / Nora Roberts
- Happy ever after / Nora Roberts
- Vision in white / Nora Roberts
- If he’s tempted / Hannah Howell — okay, but not an author I will pick up again, I think.
What crafts did I work on this month (not what I finished, but what did I work on)?
- Socks #28
- Baby quilt
- Purple scraps quilt
- Pine & Ivy shawl
- Couture dress class dress
What fun things did I do with my family, friends, or by myself?
The beach trip ended in August.
What gifts did I give and/or receive?
Sent gift certificate to my nephew for his birthday. Right now, money is most useful to him.
Plus I bought several souvenirs for the females of my family. I didn’t get anything for the guys because, well, I couldn’t figure out anything they might like that I could get.
Also finished the baby quilt to give, although I actually gave it on Sept. 1.
What special or unusual purchases did I make?
Found some material that I hope will enable me to re-make my knit shorts.
What illnesses or health concerns did I have?
Stress is leading me to do some teeth clenching at night. I can feel it. I don’t know how to solve this, other than to get through it.
Anything else noteworthy to include?
Not really. Mexico just totally consumed my mind, so that I couldn’t really give attention to anything else at work.
What rest did I achieve this month?
Better than most during the first half, even during the week away teaching; not so good during the last week after I got back home. It takes time to get back in rhythm.