I’ve been thinking for quite a while that the smartphone isn’t really doing it for me. I’ve been struggling to figure out what would meet me needs/wants/dreams. I think the new format of smartbooks may be it.
What about them appeals?
- always on capability, much like the smartphone capability of being on without having to boot up
- I’m assuming that they will be able to do productivity software and that I will be able to sync it to MS Outlook on my regular computer at home. This is a key capability for me, and probably for any kind of business use (although I want it for personal life), and it puzzles me that all the hype has not even mentioned it yet. I’m a trifle concerned, since with the smartphones at this point, ONLY WinMob has the FULL sync capability for all parts of Outlook (except for Journal, which is puzzling, but fortunately I don’t use that part).
- If only someone would enable that full sync capability with my home computer, not via the Internet but direct sync via USB, I’d consider the Android OS or any of the others, but right now I’m stuck because of my commitment to Outlook. Are there any decent replacements with all its capabilities?
- decent battery life that lasts at least the full day
- easy ebook capability? I’ve been really iffy about a dedicated ebook reader, but I do like the possibility of having lots of books at my fingertips.
- eventually cheaper/comparable price to smartphones
What about them doesn’t appeal?
- Well, the fact that the manufacturers who keep talking about them don’t seem to be open to the idea of one that isn’t locked into a 3G data plan that I may not want. I DON’T necessarily want to be always on. I am more likely to want to be connected in wi-fi spots, connected at home, and otherwise working from the system itself from recorded stuff. I might find that eventually I want to be always on, but at this point, as a lifestyle choice, I’d say NO. So I want the option.
- the fact that it can’t be my phone as well, but I can work with that with no real problem. There are plenty of cheap, small phones.
- Operating system
- How much memory? I do NOT want to depend on the cloud (nor do I fully trust it — security, you know).
- Sync capability
- Security, security, security
- Touchscreen/keyboard/tablet form factor? Can all three be combined into one?
- it better have the card reader storage capability
So, potential seen, but still in process here.